Singer-songwriter Elle King has announced the release of her second studio album, Shake The Spirit.
The 12-track record will be released on 19th October on Columbia Records, and is available for pre-order now. King has also released a short trailer on the making of the album, offering more detail on an emotionally challenging yet artistically productive period of her life.
King says: “I decided to call it ‘Shake The Spirit’ because I was shaken to the core over the last year and a half. I was literally talking to ghosts. But making the album not only changed my life, it saved my life. It’s like when you see somebody who is struggling, you want to shake them. Putting this record out is like shaking myself awake.”
Alongside the album announcement, King has released new track Good Thing Gone, written with her band The Brethren. The song – which King performed at her recent showcase in London – is a moving, bittersweet ballad which shows off King’s powerful bluesy vocals and strength as a storyteller. Fans who preorder Shake The Spirit will receive Good Thing Gone and lead single Shame instantly.
King will also embark on a short tour to promote the new record. The 12-date run begins on 22nd September at the Pilgrimage Music & Cultural Festival in Franklin, Tennessee and finishes on 12th November at Los Angeles’ Belasco Theatre. King will also play a show at London’s Bush Hall as part of the tour, with more dates to be announced soon.
Elle King came to mainstream attention with her breakthrough single Ex’s & Oh’s, released in 2015 and featured on her debut album Love Stuff. The swaggering blend of blues, pop, rock and country earned King two Grammy nominations and was certified double platinum. It also reached number 1 on Billboard’s Hot Rock Songs and Alternative Radio charts, making King the second female artist in 18 years to reach the top of the latter format. Additionally, she featured on country star Dierks Bentley’s Country Airplay number 1 Different For Girls, which was nominated for a Grammy and won the CMA Award for Musical Event of the Year. She released her latest single, Shame, in August to praise from Rolling Stone, Time Magazine, Paper and Refinery29.
The track listing for Shake The Spirit is:
1. Talk of the Town (written by Elle King and The Brethren)
2. Baby Outlaw (written by Elle King and Greg Kurstin)
3. Shame (written by Elle King and Tim Pagnotta)
4. Man’s Man (written by Elle King with Rebecca and Megan Lovell)
5. Naturally Pretty Girls (written by Elle King and Ben Gibbard)
6. Told You So (written by Elle King)
7. Good Thing Gone (written by Elle King and The Brethren)
8. Runaway (written by Elle King and Greg Kurstin)
9. It Girl (written by Elle King, The Brethren and Jason Fredericks)
10. Ram Jam (written by Elle King and The Brethren)
10. Sober (written by Elle King, The Brethren, Elliot Jacobson, Rebecca & Meghan Lovell)
11. Chained featuring Cameron Neal (Written by Elle King and Cameron Neal)
12. Little Bit of Lovin’ (Written by Elle King)
See Elle King on tour this autumn:
September 22 – Franklin, TN – Pilgrimage Music & Cultural Festival
October 2 – London, England – Bush Hall
October 7 & 14 – Austin, TX- Austin City Limits Festival
October 26-28 – New Orleans, LA – Voodoo Fest
October 27 – Atlanta, GA – ALT 105-7’s Saints And Sinners Ball, Park Tavern
October 30 – Charlotte, NC – The Underground
November 2 – Washington, DC – Lincoln Hall
November 3 – New Haven, CT – College Street Music Hall
November 4 – Philadelphia, PA – Theatre of Living Arts
November 5 – Brooklyn, NY – Warsaw
November 8 – Toronto, ONT – Opera House
November 9 – Columbus, OH- Newport Music Hall
November 10 – Chicago, IL – The Vic Theatre
November 12 – Los Angeles, CA – Belasco Theater