Discovery Channel is getting ready to launch new six-part documentary series Manhunt next week.
The show sees ex-Navy SEAL Joel Lambert pitted against the world’s most elite tracking teams armed only with a basic survival kit and canteen of water. He takes on a 48-hour challenge to reach a pre-determined extraction point whilst being pursued across some of the most remote and exotic locations on Earth.
Lambert’s challenges include attempting to outwit the U.S Army’s Phantom Recon unit across 75,000 acres of bear-filled terrain in southern Arizona, and making his way down a 70-foot cliff risking a daring truck ride.
Ahead of the launch of the show, Joel Lambert has revealed his top 5 tips for evading capture. Find out what he has to say below:
1. Have a plan, but be prepared to improvise. Know that you may have to choose between survival and escape. Sometimes escape may mean succumbing to the elements—weigh the balance and YOU make an educated choice. Do not allow circumstances to control outcomes if you can help it—and do not allow emotions to derail your plan when times get tough.
2. Know your body, know the environment you’re in—and know the limitations and dangers of both.
3. Take every opportunity to hydrate and eat/gather food. You don’t know when the next opportunity may arise—and you might not have the luxury of stopping when it does.
4. Blend into your environment, be aware of the foliage, the wildlife, and animal behavior. Use natural vegetation and mud to break up your outline and to make yourself less conspicuous. Know when to go to ground, and trust your camouflage when you do.
5. Remember, three things will draw unwanted attention. Movement draws the eye, noise can give you away, and shiny objects can reflect light. The sun flashing off of a reflective surface can be seen for miles and miles.
Manhunt beings on Thursday 13th February 2014 on Discover Channel at 9pm.