24 returned in a blaze of glory with recent limited series 24: Live Another Day which saw the iconic show back on our screens for a 12-episode run.
If you haven’t seen 24: Live Another Day and would prefer not to read any spoilers then we suggest you stop reading now. If you have and want to read our thoughts on a possible new season then keep reading.
The shortened format won critical-acclaim and impressive viewing figures leaving everyone wondering if Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) will return for another day. We can’t seriously believe he got in a helicopter with the Russians and that was the end of it right?
Fans are theorising that Jack gave something to Chloe (Mary Lynn Rajskub) as they passed each other in the final scene. What could that be? Something to track where he was going and save him?
Producers and Kiefer have been very vague about whether the show will return but we’ve got our fingers crossed that it’s back on our screens sooner rather than later. We’ve compiled our list of 10 reasons why we need another season:
1. Jack has to be saved from the Russians. We don’t want to believe that Jack’s ultimate ending is in captivity with the Russians. If the show were to have a 10th season we want to see Chloe and Kate (Yvonne Strahovski) working together to bring him back to the US.
2. The heart-stopping pace. No other show on television has the remarkable pace and tension that 24 does. We’d forgotten how much we missed that digital clock ticking away but now it’s back in our lives we want it back on a more permanent basis.
3. Kate Morgan. Arguably one of the best female characters to ever appear in 24, there’s a lot more to explore about Kate Morgan. Not only is she the first female character that could actually hold her own against Jack (ye we know Renee went badass but still…) and after the revelation that her late husband was actually innocent she’s got a lot more anger to get out. She seemingly quit the CIA at the end of 24: Live Another Day so it’s a good time for her to take a leaf from Jack’s book and go rogue.
4. Those twists and cliffhangers. 24: Live Another Day fooled us at every turn and as seasoned 24 fans that’s pretty tough to do. The show often did the unexpected e.g. killing Audrey Boudreau (Kim Raver) and letting Mark Boudreau (Tate Donovan) live. We were surprised each week and are pretty sure we muttered the words ‘this is the best episode ever’ every single week.
5. Mark Boudreau’s revenge. Ok so it looked like the slimy Chief of Staff was going to prison for a long time but that’s never stopped a character returning on 24 has it? With his wife dead and his career and reputation in ruins there’s plenty of scope for Mark to want to get revenge on Jack. Let’s face it, the two characters never really had the face-off we were expecting did they?
6. The 12-episode season worked. We were sceptical when FOX announced the show would return for 12 instead of 24 episodes but actually it worked better. There was a stronger focus on the core storylines and no filler. Amazingly it gave the show an even zippier pace and had us utterly addicted.
7. More Chloe. Whilst we did enjoy the way Chloe fit into the story on 24: Live Another Day, we were kind of sad that she didn’t get to spend much time actually with Jack. The two characters are the show’s best and their scenes together are always the highlights. We need to see them working together again side-by-side.
8. Tony Almeida (Carlos Bernard). We can’t have been the only ones hoping that Tony would put in appearance? Whilst we were disappointed he didn’t show up, we’ve got hope that he’ll enter back into Jack’s life if there’s another season.
9. Another new setting. The backdrop of London gave 24: Live Another Day a new energy and if we get our wish (see point 1) then there’s a chance the next season could be set, at least partly, in Russia. Putting Jack in unfamiliar surroundings always works so we have our fingers crossed.
10. A new US President. With James Heller (William Devane) last seen heading home to end his Presidency, we want to see who takes over. The President has always been an integral part of 24 and Heller will be a tough act to follow as Devane knocked it out of the park with his performance last season.
24: Live Another Day is released on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK on 6th October 2014.