The Walking Dead ended its sixth season on a huge cliffhanger that has left long-time fans of the show outraged.
If you haven’t seen the sixth season finale of The Walking Dead and prefer to avoid any spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts keep reading.
After a huge build up, Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) finally made his debut in the final minutes of the season 6 finale. Armed with his trusty baseball bat Lucille, Negan gave an epic monologue before using Lucille to beat someone to death. With most of the main characters on their knees in front of Negan as his cronies looked on, the jury is out as to who the unfortunate victim is going to be.
The much-hyped finale divided fans with the majority admitting their frustration via social media at not getting the pay off they were expecting. Regardless, we all know that everyone will tune in come October and whoever gets killed off is unlikely to be a popular choice.
Season 6 has been the usual rollercoaster for The Walking Dead with ups and downs, some dull episodes, plenty of new characters and deaths, and dare I say a bit of plot recycling? I love The Walking Dead, I really do but if it’s going to keep my attention for much longer the show needs a shake-up and that’s what Negan promises to deliver.
Ahead of the show’s return later this year, I’ve compiled my 10 things that I want from the seventh season.
1. Abraham (Michael Cudlitz) to be Negan’s victim. OK hear me out before you head to the comments to complain about my choice. The show runners have said it’s going to be a main cast member that is loved and Abraham has become more popular the longer he’s been in the show. In the comics it’s Glenn (Steven Yeun) that gets offed by Negan but Abraham feels like he’s come to the end of his storyline. The forced love triangle with Sasha (Sonequa Martin-Green) and Rosita (Christian Serrato) isn’t in the vaguest bit interesting and now Eugene (Josh McDermitt) is stepping up, do we need Abraham any more? Not really.
2. Negan to be more than a one-dimensional baddie. We know that Negan is a powerful presence in the comic books and Jeffrey Dean Morgan definitely made an impact in the season 6 finale. I really hope there’s some exploration of why Negan is the way he is rather than him just being a 2D bad guy there to kill a few people.
3. A thinning of the cast. The Walking Dead is notorious for introducing and killing lots of characters. Right now the case feels bloated and there’s a lot of characters that don’t really add anything to the show such as Rosita and Spencer (Austin Nichols). I’d like the show to focus on its core characters and give them some meaty storylines.
4. Carol (Melissa McBride) to get her groove back. What the hell happened to Carol this season? She went from bad ass right back to whiney and I’m not OK with that. Sure she had a personal crisis but it didn’t feel authentic to me. Would Carol, given all she’s been through, really return to the fragile woman she once was? For my money Carol passed the point of no return a long time ago so to push her back a few season is a disservice to the character and to Melissa McBride.
5. Give Daryl (Norman Reedus) something to do. Can anyone name a single memorable thing Daryl did this season? No I can’t either. The once badass character was relegated to the sidelines for much of the season and he barely uttered a word.
6. Maggie (Lauren Cohan) to live and give birth to a healthy child. There has to be something hopeful for the group and Maggie has been through a hell of a lot after losing her entire family. It wasn’t pleasant seeing her pregnant, in need of medical help and pretty much begging for her life. Give the woman a break!
7. Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira) to be more than just another romance. Them getting together has been on the cards for a while but they wasted no time after the death of Jessie (Alexandra Breckenridge) and since they’ve been together the characters have become a bit dull.
8. More of Jesus (Tom Payne) and the Hilltop Colony. Lots of ideas and people were introduced in season 6 but it didn’t feel like many of them were really fleshed out. The group visited the Hilltop Colony but we didn’t spend much time there so hopefully it’ll be revisited in season 7.
9. Carl (Chandler Riggs) to get a bigger role. Since having his eye shot out (which is understandably very traumatic) Carl hasn’t had all that much to do. I’ve been waiting for him to try and usurp his father as the leader of the group but it’s yet to happen. If the show follows the comic books then Carl’s relationship with Negan should make for pretty interesting viewing.
10. Morgan (Lennie James) to have a purpose. I’m really hoping that Morgan and Carol will rock up and save the day seeing as they weren’t captured by Negan the Saviors. Since he came back Morgan’s done pretty much nothing other than argue with Carol. Give the man a storyline and integrate him better into the group.
The Walking Dead will return to AMC in the US and FOX in the UK in October. What do you want to see? Leave your comments in the usual place and please keep the discussion respectful.