Pretty Little Liars came good on its promise to answer a lot of questions during its summer finale.
If you haven’t seen the summer finale of Pretty Little Liars and want to avoid spoilers we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on the next part of season 6 keep reading.
Fans finally found out that A was CeCe Drake (Vanessa Ray) who turned out to be Charlotte aka Charles DiLaurentis. In a shocking twist it was revealed that Charles had transitioned to Charlotte after feeling like a girl rather than a boy as a child. After being committed to Radley, Jessica (Andrea Parker) helped Charles fake his own death so he could become Charlotte and live the life he wanted. Charlotte tortured the liars after hearing that they were glad that Alison (Sasha Pieterse) was ‘dead’ before she turned up alive and well.
At the end of the episode Charlotte was presumably taken away by the police before the action jumped 5 years into the future. Ali was now going by the married name of Mrs Rollins and was a teacher. Aria (Lucy Hale), Spencer (Troian Bellisario), Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Hanna (Ashley Benson) returned to Rosewood to tell Ali that ‘he’ was coming for her. Who that ‘he’ may be we’ve no idea but it looks like the start of a new mystery.
It’s been confirmed that all of the characters that have been part of the PLL world will continue to be involved with the show when it returns in 2016 and we know that Charlotte will be getting a bigger part too.
Ahead of the show’s return for season 6B in 2016, we’ve put together the 10 things that we want to see.
1. A better relationship for the liars with Ali. Unsurprisingly Aria, Spencer, Emily and Hanna have had a very rocky relationship with the duplicitous and manipulative Ali. It’s probably safe to assume that with the ‘A’ drama behind them that the liars have had an opportunity to reconnect with one another over the 5-year time jump. We’d like to see Ali more integrated into the group than on the side-lines.
2. A gripping new mystery. It’s unclear at this point if the show will continue the A mystery like the books did or whether a completely new mystery will be at the heart of the show when it returns. We would imagine that whoever the ‘he’ is that’s coming after Ali must be something to do with her past and the whole A drama.
3. Relationship developments. Will Spencer and Toby (Keegan Allen) still be together? Did Hanna and Caleb’s (Tyler Blackburn) relationship survive New York? Has Emily reconnected with Paige (Lindsey Shaw)? Will Aria and Ezra (Ian Harding) finally get back together? In 5 years we’re expecting engagements, break-ups and maybe marriage for some of the liars (other than Ali of course who we know is married!).
4. More of Charlotte’s backstory. We know she’s going to be sticking around and we want to see how Jason (Drew Van Acker) and Kenneth (Jim Abele) react to having her in their lives (presuming they are both still alive of course). There’s much more to Charlotte’s story than we already know and seeing how she interacts with her family moving forward is going to be very interested.
5. Closure for Emily and Sara (Dre Davis). After Sara was outed as Red Coat and Black Widow, Emily was understandably furious and smacked her in the face. What we still don’t know though is why Sara was working on the A team and whether or not her feelings for Emily were real or not. Whilst we never really shipped them, we’re still keen to see a resolution for the short-lived couple.
6. The liars to have grown during the time jump. They all went off to pursue their individual interests so we’re expecting the liars to have been changed by their life experiences. They should be wiser now that they’re older, especially after the A ordeal.
7. Who killed Jessica? We know that it wasn’t Charlotte so who did kill her? We hope this answer is delivered before the end of season 6 and we have a feeling it could relate to the ‘he’ that is coming for Ali.
8. Much more Mona (Janel Parrish). We all know that Mona is the secret weapon of PLL and she livens up every scene she’s in. Last we saw her she was admitting that she’d murdered Bethany and watching Charlotte tell her story in the Carissimi Group control room.
9. More familiar faces. We’ve not seen Jenna (Tammin Sursok), Wren (Julian Morris), Noel (Brant Daugherty), Melissa (Torrey DeVitto) and many other integral PLL characters for ages. We want them to return and see how they fit into the fives years later landscape.
10. Plenty more twists and turns. OK so this is guaranteed as it is PLL we’re talking about here. We wouldn’t be at all surprised if there are more twists in the A / Charlotte story because nothing is ever as it seems in Rosewood.
Pretty Little Liars returns to ABC Family in the US and Netflix in the UK in 2016. Preview season 6B by watching the video below: