How To Get Away With Murder was one of the breakout hits of the 2014-15 TV season.
If you haven’t seen season 1 of How To Get Away With Murder and don’t want any spoilers we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on the upcoming second season then keep reading.
The latest series from Shondaland served up a lot of heart-stopping twists, plenty of steamy sex scenes and a murder mystery with so many twists we almost broke our brains trying to work it all out. With Viola Davis at the heart of the mystery as law professor and powerful attorney Annalise Keating, the show quickly established itself as must-see TV.
The jaw-dropping season 1 finale served up more than one shocking revelation. Not only did we find out that it was Frank (Charlie Weber) who murdered Lila (Megan West) but Rebecca (Katie Findlay) wound up dead in Annalise’s basement with only Frank and Annalise in the know about the murder. The Keating four meanwhile were led to believe that Rebecca had escaped and they tried to pursue her to protect themselves from being implicated in the murder of Annalise’s husband Sam (Tom Verica).
With those jaw-dropping twists in the bag it was also revealed that Connor’s (Jack Falahee) boyfriend Oliver (Conrad Ricamora) was HIV positive and Laurel (Karla Souza) had secretly found and kept Michaela’s (Aja Naomi King) ring to keep her on side.
As our brains work overtime trying to figure out what’s going to happen next, we’ve gathered our thoughts and compiled our list of Top 10 things we want to happen in the new season.
1. The unmasking of Rebecca’s killer. This should be a given but HTGAWM doesn’t always do what you expect it to. It was implied that one of the Keating four murdered Rebecca and both Annalise and Frank claimed they had nothing to do with it. Our money is on Bonnie (Liza Weil) who has enough motives considering her feelings for the deceased Sam. Was it an act of revenge?
2. Frank’s motive. Ok so we know that he owed Sam but why? What had Sam done for him that could possibly be a fair exchange for murder? Frank is still one of the most mysterious characters on the show and we think there’s plenty to unearth in season 2.
3. Plenty of jaw-dropping moments. Season 1 of HTGAWM served up plenty of them so we’re expecting season 2 to continue that trend. Who didn’t have to pick their jaw up off the floor when Annalise asked Sam THAT question?
4. More backstory for the Keating Four. We’ve seen glimpses of each of them but we still don’t know the whole stories for Connor, Michaela, Wes (Alfred Enoch) and Laurel. Wes in particular is the most mysterious of the group and his close bond with Annalise leads us to suspect there’s something going on that we don’t know about yet.
5. More on Annalise’s backstory. We got a load of information when her mother came to visit about her troubled childhood. There are definitely plenty of things we don’t know about Annalise, especially her relationships with Frank and Bonnie.
6. Hot and steamy sex scenes. HTGAWM had middle America up in arms over its racy sex scenes – most of them between Connor and various men. We thought it was refreshing to see same sex intimacy on a major network.
7. Nate (Billy Brown) to be released from jail. Annalise used him as a pawn to get suspicion off herself but her plan to get Nate out of prison backfired spectacularly. In the penultimate episode of the season Nate was put in solitary confinement after Annalise instructed Frank to get him beaten up in prison in an attempt to get him released.
8. A more integrated role for Asher (Matt McGorry). Asher was very much on the outside of the Keating Four (but on the inside of Bonnie…) by the season’s end. We want him to find out what’s been going on with his classmates and start to see Annalise’s true colours.
9. More gripping cases. This will hopefully go without saying but we liked the balance of ‘case of the week’ and the over-arching storyline. Annalise and her team get the best cases and we found most of them as gripping as the overall murder plot.
10. Cicely Tyson to return as Annalise’s mother Ophelia. Hands up who didn’t think Tyson was incredible in her one episode guest stint? We loved the chemistry between her and Davis. We’ve got our fingers crossed that Annalise is due for some more tough love before the season’s out.
How To Get Away With Murder will return to ABC in the US and Universal Channel in the UK later in the year.