Wayward Pines came to the end of its run a few days ago and the future of the show is up in the air.
If you haven’t seen the season finale of Wayward Pines and want to avoid spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on a potential second season then keep reading.
Based on the books by Blake Crouch, Wayward Pines was only ever envisioned as a one-season story. With an all-star cast that included Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard, Carla Gugino, Shannyn Sossamon and Juliette Lewis, the show delivered plenty of twists and turns over its 10 episodes. The show was never afraid to kill off a main character to best serve the story and the shock exits of both Lewis and Howard’s characters really made an impact.
In the finale Ethan (Dillon) sacrificed himself to save the population of Wayward Pines from the abbies. As he blew himself up in an elevator, his son Ben (Charlie Tahan) was injured and later seen waking up in hospital. It was revealed that over 3 years had passed and that Ben had been in a coma. Amy (Sarah Jeffery) was a qualified nurse who was looking after Ben and the town had been overthrown by Jason (Tom Stevens) and the first generation who were now in power.
Rumours suggest that FOX is considering a second season for the show after it garnered critical acclaim and pulled in unexpectedly good ratings, which increased over the show’s run.
We’ve put together 10 reasons why we’d like to see Wayward Pines get another season. Keep reading to find out what we think…
1. Ben taking the lead. Megan (Hope Davis) had managed to get inside Ben’s head and almost turn him against his own family. Now that he’s seemingly alone in Wayward Pines and living in a much more brutal reality, we’d like to see how he copes with being ruled by his peers.
2. What happened to all the adults? We know that Wayward Pines was overthrown by the first generation but what happened to all of the adults like Theresa (Sossamon), Pam (Melissa Leo) and Kate (Gugino). Have they been killed or are they back in their chambers hibernating for the foreseeable?
3. Amy. We only felt like we were just getting to know Amy by the end of the season and thanks to the time jump she’s a qualified nurse. What happened to her in the years we haven’t seen and which side is she now on? Is she still loyal to Ben or does her loyalty lie with the first generation?
4. The abbies. Where did they all go? Are we supposed to believe they were all killed off or were they somehow driven out of the town? The dead bodies hanging around Wayward Pines along with the signs promising death to anyone that tries to leave suggest they are still roaming around. The abbies are seriously creepy and they never failed to make us jump out of our seat.
5. Pam. In the season finale she killed her brother David (Toby Jones) in a bid to save the town. She was last seen promising a different future for Wayward Pines but that obviously never came to pass. If she is still alive we’d like to see how she dealt with the aftermath of murdering her own brother and see if she really could become a changed woman.
6. The twists and turns. One of the things that we loved about the season was the amount of twists and turns it had. You never knew where the show was going to go next and it frequently surprised us. The revelation that the whole town was 2000 years in the future was a jaw-dropping moment.
7. Adam Hassler (Tim Griffin). What really happened to Adam? Theresa found his video diaries in the underground bunker but we were never given a definitive conclusion to that plot strand. Could his learnings help Ben and the town forge a future that doesn’t involve violence and power struggles?
8. Megan. What happened to Megan Fisher? Was she killed or did she manage to survive? It would be interesting if she had survived because we can imagine she was instrumental in helping the first generation take over the town. Could she be pulling the strings now?
9. Other survivors. Just because David Pilcher told everyone that Wayward Pines was the only town left in existence, it doesn’t mean he was right or telling the truth. Could there be other towns like Wayward Pines that have established their own civilisations after the apocalypse?
10. The head-scratching moments. Part of Wayward Pines’ charm was those moments where you weren’t entirely sure what was going on or why. We spent many a time scratching our heads trying to figure out what was going on, especially after Beverly (Lewis) was killed during a public execution.
Wayward Pines is released on DVD on 17th August 2015.
What would you like to see if the show returns for a second season? Leave your comments in the usual place and as always remember to keep it friendly and civil.