The Tunnel: Sabotage season finale aired in the UK tonight bringing season 2 to a dramatic close(read our recap). It’s been an exceptional season full of gripping drama and plenty of twists and turns to keep us guessing. The season reunited the Anglo-French detectives DCI Karl Roebuck (Stephen Dillane) and Elise Wassermann (Clémence Poésy) who had been promoted to Commander since the first season.
If you haven’t seen the final episode of The Tunnel: Sabotage yet and want to avoid spoilers then please stop reading now. If you are up-to-date or just don’t mind spoilers, then please keep on reading.
The season finale of The Tunnel: Sabotage saw Karl and Elise solve the final pieces of the puzzle regarding the plane crash. They worked together to track down the Chemist and stop Artem Baturin. In the process they found themselves in grave danger which led to a nail-biting ending.
Here’s our top 10 wishes for The Tunnel season 3:
- Karl and Elise to return. Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy are both fantastic in their roles and we couldn’t imagine the show without them. What started off in season one as an unlikely partnership has really grown. The awkwardness of Elise and almost laid-back approach of Karl works so well together. We hope there are many more cases for the pair to solve.
- Karl and Laura’s (Angel Coulby) relationship to be more stable. The show has put them through hell over the two seasons but they’ve come through it together and seemed stronger and happy at the end of season two. We’d rather see Karl having an easier time at home in a third series.
- Elise’s eyesight to recover fully. It appeared at the end of season two that Elise got away with her run in with the Chemist. While the show could choose for her vision to cause her problems we think it could make her job a lot harder. Presuming she fully recovers there is still likely to be psychological damage from the trauma’s she faced during the season which would be interesting to explore.
- BB (William Ash) and Louise (Juliette Navis) to get together. Two of our favourite characters after Karl and Elise showed they are both very capable during season two. BB made it no secret that he fancied Louise but he constantly seemed to unintentionally ruin his chances with her. However there was a snippet of them leaving together at the end of the season that gave us hope they might get together.
- MI5 and Neal Grey (Con O’Neill) to feature. It was interesting to see the fight between MI5 and the police in season two. Karl going against them was fantastic and we’d love to see him take down the dodgy Neal Grey in a future season.
- Erykah Klein (Laura de Boer) to return. Erykah kept us guessing right through season two and surprised even Elise when they started a relationship. There was fantastic chemistry between the pair and we’d say it would be impossible for a third season to not explore it further. We feel there’s definitely more to tell about Erykah’s character.
- Julie (Fanny Leurent) to recover. She was one of our favourite characters but we didn’t see her again after episode 5 of season two. Julie was shot by Garrido during the rescue attempt on Rosa. Fortunately she survived her shooting so we’d love to see her back at work and more heavily involved in a third season.
- A new big and complex threat. The show has a tough job of dreaming up something big that involves both sides of the Channel. The obvious choices are always going to involve some kind of terrorist plot, murder or kidnapping. We’d love to see the show come up with something else that’s surprising or unique. There is definitely more to explore in Elise’s character so maybe a focus on her would be a good starting point for a new season.
- New and memorable characters. There’s been a brilliant mix of characters at both ends of the Tunnel during the two seasons. Stanley Townsend was superb as Inspector Bowden and Emilia Fox was rather scary as Vanessa Hamilton. A third season would have to have characters of this quality.
- Death of a major character. Nothing shakes things up more than the death of a major character. We’d hate for Karl or Elise to lose their life on the show but wouldn’t object to one of the other characters being killed off. We’ve just wished Karl and Laura to be happy but her death would certainly change Karl wouldn’t it?
The third season of The Tunnel has been announced as The Tunnel: Vengeance. A release date is set for December 14th, 2017. Let us know what you’d like to see in the comments below!