Team Flash came together with Marlize (Kim Engelbrecht) in an attempt to beat DeVoe (Neil Sandilands) on the season 4 finale of The Flash.
If you haven’t seen the fourth season finale of The Flash and don’t want to see any spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you would like to hear our thoughts on the next season, keep reading.
Of course their efforts worked and Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team, with the help of both Marlize and Cecile (Danielle Nicolet), managed to bring DeVoe down and stop his plan to reduce the city to brainless idiots. While the outcome may have been predictable, there were a few surprises in store too. Firstly Ralph (Hartley Sawyer) was saved and became an integral part of helping Barry defeat DeVoe while in their nemesis’ brain.
Cecile gave birth to a daughter with Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) making a brief return to meet her. Cisco (Carlos Valdes) was able to partially restore Harry’s (Tom Cavanagh) mind but the once intelligent scientist still missed a large part of his knowledge. Harry decided to return to his Earth to see Jesse (Violett Beane) and it looks unlikely he’ll be returning next season.
Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is that the mystery girl, who has popped up throughout the season, was revealed to be Barry and Iris’ (Candice Patton) daughter Nora (Jessica Parker Kennedy) from the future. We already knew she was a speedster but we didn’t count on her helping Barry defeat DeVoe or guess who she was. That’s going to be interesting to play out next season.
With season 5 of the hit show on the horizon, I’ve had a think about what I want to see when The Flash returns later this year…
1. The big bad to not be a speedster. The Flash was criticised a lot for having speedsters as the big bad during its first three seasons. DeVoe aka The Thinker was a much more interesting nemesis and the season felt fresher because of it. I hope the show continues down this route and doesn’t revert back to its old habits.
2. A slow reveal for Barry and Iris’ daughter Nora. At the moment we don’t know why she’s travelled back in time to see her parents but we hope it’s a slow reveal with plenty of surprises. It’s going to be interesting seeing how Barry and Iris adapt to parenthood, especially given that Barry was freaked out by Iris’ suggestion that they would be next to have kids.
3. A new Harry to join the team. One of the gimmicks of the character has been that various versions of him have popped up over the last four seasons. Tom Cavanagh is a fantastic idea and he switches things up every year. I like it when he’s goofier so fingers crossed!
4. Ralph to stay on the team. I’ll admit it, Ralph annoyed the heck out of me at first but it was nice to have some light relief this season and it was genuinely quite emotional when the team thought they had lost him for good. I hope he doesn’t end up doing a Julian (Tom Felton) and disappearing between seasons.
5. More exploration in Caitlin’s (Danielle Panabaker) Killer Frost side. I prefer Killer Frost to Caitlin and it’s good to see Panabaker getting much more to do with her character. Now we know she’s had Killer Frost in her since before the particle accelerator explosion, I look forward to digging deeper into Caitlin’s past and seeing a lot more of Killer Frost.
6. Jenna West revelations. It’s looking pretty certain that Jenna West is going to have some powers given everything that Cecile went through during her pregnancy. I hope it causes some mayhem for Joe (Jesse L. Martin) and Cecile over the course of the season.
7. Cisco and Gypsy (Jessica Camacho) to reunite. I don’t know about you but I was pretty sad when they split up this season. I feel like the characters could sort out their differences but it will mean one of them will have to give something pretty huge up. Gypsy is a great character and her chemistry with Cisco is fantastic.
8. No more Amunet (Katee Sackhoff). Good God that accent was awful? She was going for British but it’s not an accent I’ve ever heard before (and I’m from the UK). The character has hopefully served its purpose.
9. Iris to reconnect with her journalism. It seems like the show forgot that Iris had a career before she started leading Team Flash. She conveniently remembered (or should we say the writers did) when she published the article about DeVoe but didn’t that newspaper from the future, shown in earlier seasons, have her married name on the byline?
10. Plenty more Arrowverse crossovers. I like how characters seamlessly move between the shows. Aside from the yearly crossover, I’d like to see some more mini crossovers, like we’ve seen with Lyla (Aubrey Marie Anderson) and Diggle (David Ramsey). There’s a world of opportunity there, especially now that Wally has joined the Legends.
The Flash returns for season 5 on The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK this autumn.