The Flash ended its second season in the UK last night and it promised to shake things up when the show returns for a third season.
If you haven’t seen the second season of The Flash and want to avoid spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to know our thoughts on the next season keep reading.
As his battle with Zoom (Teddy Sears) came to an end, Barry (Grant Gustin) discovered that the real Jay Garrick was actually his late father Henry’s (John Wesley Shipp) doppelganger. Jay had been held by Zoom with his face covered by an iron mask so no one knew his identity. Feeling distressed by the revelation, and on the brink of finally being with Iris (Candice Patton), Barry decided to go back in time and save his mother.
This time he actually managed to save her after fighting off Reverse-Flash and his actions will have major consequences on the timeline, potentially changing everything that has happened in the first two seasons. This gives the show an opportunity to majorly shake things up and we could be looking at a very different show when The Flash returns later this year.
Rumours suggest that the show is going to do its own take on Flashpoint, the comic book mini-series that saw Barry wake up to an alternate reality where he no longer had powers and his mother was still alive. It seems a safe bet that part of this storyline at least will play out in season 3 doesn’t it?
I’ve put together 10 things that I’d like to see when The Flash returns this autumn. Continue reading to find out my thoughts…
1. Barry to realise how different life would be if he saved his mother. He may have saved her as an act of desperation but Barry’s decision didn’t take into consideration the huge impact it would have on his life. It’s true that he would have been brought up by both of his parents (unless the show kills off his father like the comic book did) but his relationship with all of his friends would be changed dramatically. I think he needs to see what life could have been like to appreciate the life he has now.
2. Barry and Iris to give their relationship a go. They were so close in season 2 and we already know that they eventually marry. I really thought we were going to get the pay off we’ve been waiting for but it looks like the show runners are going to hold out on us for a bit longer. At some point in season 3 I’d like to see the two start on the road to romance properly.
3. The original Earth-One Dr. Wells (Tom Cavanagh). In theory we should see the real Dr. Wells, before he was killed and replaced by Eobard Thawne. With Earth-Two Dr. Wells having returned and the timeline been drastically altered, it’s safe to assume that we’ll finally get to see what the original Dr. Wells is really like.
4. Cisco (Carlos Valdes) to fully realise his powers. On the show so far Cisco has been mostly limited to visions but in the comic books his powers are much stronger than that. If Barry is living without his powers thanks to his actions, it would be interesting to see Cisco step into the superhero void wouldn’t it?
5. Killer Frost (Danielle Panabaker). The potential for changing things up is huge in season 3 and I really enjoyed seeing Killer Frost in season 2. She may have been killed by Zoom but if everything has changed there’s the chance she’d still be alive. Who knows, maybe Caitlin would embrace her evil alter-ego on Earth-One?
6. Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) getting a proper storyline. The character was mostly just hanging around after being introduced but now he’s aware that Barry is The Flash, he’ll hopefully get something more to do. Of course the chances are that when the show returns he won’t have any idea of what he learned in season 2.
7. Eddie Thawne (Rick Cosnett) to come back. He may have been killed off in season 1 but now that everything has been turned on its head, surely there’s a way to bring Eddie back to the show? Also Cosnett’s Quantico character is no longer, which frees him up to return to the series.
8. Patty Spivot (Shantel VanSanten) to return to Central City. I like Patty as a partner for Joe and a love interest for Barry. She seemed to disappear pretty quickly and I think there was much more story to explore with her.
9. Plenty of crossover action. The show has consistently impressed with its crossovers and we know there’s going to be a The Flash/Arrow/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow crossover during the course of the next season. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing Katie Cassidy reprise her role as Black Siren or see more characters from the bigger universe stop by Central City.
10. Jay Garrick. John Wesley Shipp has been confirmed to return for the third season of the show but it’s not known yet in what capacity. The reveal was a nice curve ball in season 2 and I love Shipp being involved in the series. Maybe Jay is saving the world while Barry is powerless?
The Flash will return for its third season on The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK this autumn.