The Flash struggled creatively during its third season with a Big Bad reveal that was both disappointing and frustrating.
If you haven’t seen the third season of The Flash and want to avoid spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to know our thoughts on the upcoming fourth season, please continue reading.
Following two very strong seasons, The Flash hit a real rough patch in season 3 with the introduction of Savitar, who turned out to be a time remnant of Barry Allen (Grant Gustin). The whole season was built around the latest evil speedster and put Iris’ (Candice Patton) in the balance. The only problem was that no one really bought that Iris was in any true danger.
In the season finale Barry had to trap himself in the speed force after defeating Savitar left the speed force prison empty, which threatened to destroy Central City. H.R. (Tom Cavanagh) was revealed to have posed as Iris to trick Savitar, which cost him his life and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) refused to take Julian’s (Tom Felton) cure and departed from the team to explore who she really is after being taken over by her Killer Frost side.
There were some satisfying moments over the course of the season but personally I thought the Savitar reveal was a bit lazy and massively underwhelming. As we wait for season 4 to arrive later this year, I’ve put together the Top 10 things I’d like to see when the show returns…
1. A switch-up to the formula. The Flash has very much fallen into an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ situation and that has led to the quality of the show dropping. The arcs for the first three seasons have been far to similar, and with diminishing returns. The showrunners have promised that this year’s Big Bad won’t be a speedster and I’m hoping they stay true to their word and give Team Flash a completely new and fresh threat.
2. Barry to stay stuck in the speed force for a while. I felt that Flashpoint was resolved far too quickly and I’d have liked Barry to have the time to explore that onscreen more. I have a feeling he’ll be out of the speed force before the end of the first episode of season 4 but I hope I’m wrong. It will benefit Team Flash to try and survive without him, and give the show a bit of a shake-up. After all, if it was that easy to get out, surely Savitar would have managed?
3. Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale) to step up. Kid Flash learned that his cockiness wasn’t always a good thing last season and with Barry gone, it looks like the safety of the city is in his hands. I wouldn’t be averse to Jesse (Violett Beane) returning so they can team up.
4. Iris to have more to do than be a damsel in distress. The show seems to have completely forgotten that Iris was once a promising journalist and for the majority of season 3 everyone else was saving her. Iris is a stronger character than she’s often depicted and it’s high time she got a decent storyline that developed her character in the way that fans have wanted since season 1.
5. Tom Cavanagh to continue playing different versions of Harrison. He’s been confirmed to return but at this stage we don’t know if he’s playing Earth-2 Harry or a completely different incarnation of the character. I enjoyed the comedy work he got to do last year and I think the show benefits from a bit of levity, something Cavanagh is able to provide.
6. Caitlin to slowly integrate back into Team Flash. I completely understand her need to explore who she truly is after spending a good portion of the season as Killer Frost. It would be too easy for her to become good again but I would be interested to see her truly explore the conflict created by her two different personalities.
7. Julian to continue being part of Team Flash. Tom Felton is coming back (hurrah) so I’d like to see him get some really juicy storylines. He’s worked out his differences with Barry and his blossoming relationship with Caitlin was one of my favourite things about season 3. Felton plays the part well and his skills are different to the other members of the team so with good writing, he should come into his own in season 4.
8. A return for Gypsy (Jessica Camacho). I enjoyed the dynamic and the chemistry between Cisco (Carlos Valdes) and Gypsy last season. It’s about time Cisco had some luck with the ladies and Gypsy is a perfect match for him.
9. More Cecile (Danielle Nicolet). I was so relieved when her break with Joe (Jesse L. Martin) proved temporary. Now she’s in on Barry’s alter ego and she knows all about Team Flash, Cecile is someone who could become more involved and support the team. I’d quite like her and Joe to get married too to be honest!
10. Less reliance on returning villains. The DC comics have so many villains the show could use so I’m less interested in seeing returns for characters that have already appeared in the show a few times. I definitely have no desire to see Grodd again, that’s for sure!
The Flash will return to The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK this autumn for a fourth season.