The season finale of The Catch left Alice’s (Mireille Enos) future up in the air and set the scene for a very interesting season 2.
If you haven’t seen the first season of The Catch and want to avoid spoilers we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on season 2 keep reading.
In a bid to take down the Kensington Family, Alice and Ben (Peter Krause) teamed up to stop a con taking place at a wedding. Unfortunately thanks to being not very subtle and canoodling in plain sight of everyone, Margot (Sonya Walger) was soon alerted to their presence. With the help of Dao (Jacky Ido), Alice and Ben managed to arrest Sybil (Lesley Nicol) but Margot got away.
With Sybil behind bars, Alice prepared to jet off for a new life with Ben courtesy of Rhys’ (John Simm) help, but a spanner was thrown in the works when Margot alerted the FBI to the stolen painting hanging in Alice’s bedroom. The season finale came to an end with Alice being arrested and Ben arriving at AVI’s office to turn himself in.
The surprise ending left everything up in the air and it poses the question of what a second season could bring, especially now the main storyline of Alice hunting for Ben is over.
The Catch isn’t due to return until 2017 but that hasn’t stopped me thinking about what I want from the second season.
1. Margot to be the big bad. This seems to be a given now that Margot is free from her controlling mother. I want to see Alice and Margot chasing after one another throughout the season and I’m hoping for a big confrontation by the season’s end.
2. Less Rhys. It may just be me but I found John Simm pretty annoying for much of his time on the show. His performance was OTT and to be honest by the end of the season his character became a little redundant. If he comes back I’d prefer it to be one or two episodes at most.
3. Ben to stay out of prison. It’s going to be hard for him to help Alice find Margot if he’s behind bars. The character is so slippery and manipulative, I believe he has something up his sleeve or that Dao may help to ensure he keeps his freedom. Perhaps a deal with the FBI to go after Margot is in the offing?
4. More Alice and Val (Rose Rollins) scenes. The show is at its best when the two best friends and business partners are on-screen together. Val is the voice of calm and reason whereas Alice is more reckless. The two balance each other out and they are strong female characters I want to see more of.
5. Make Agent Shawn (Caleb Smith) a series regular. I really liked this character and loved the moment in the season finale when he came out and asked Danny (Jay Hayden) out. I’d like to see more of him in the new season.
6. Alice to start thinking more with her head than her heart. It does stretch belief that Alice could be so willing to forgive Ben for everything he did to her and some of her actions were very questionable over the course of the first season. Alice has been warned that Ben isn’t the sweet and charming man she thinks he is so I’d like to see her apply a little caution in her decisions.
7. Danny and Sophie’s (Elvy Yost) relationship to be explored. They finally got together in the season finale, even though Danny accepted a date with Agent Shawn, and they make a great couple. I want to see how their relationship pans out and I hope the show takes time to explore it.
8. Dao to be integrated more into the show. Now that he’s working with Alice and Ben, and sleeping with Val, it’s time that Dao became a more integral part of the AVI team. It’ll be interesting to see where his relationship with Val goes but he’s proven that the team can trust him and he’s been a valuable asset.
9. More cases of the week. The structure of The Catch works well with a case of the week and the season arc running in parallel. One of the best things about the show is seeing Alice, Val and the team solving cases so I hope they get back to that in season 2.
10. Surprises and twists. The Catch has been criticised for not being as buzzworthy as other Shondaland shows and there’s definitely scope for a few more surprises and twists during the second season. I’m sure there is plenty more to come out about Margot and Ben as the season progresses.
The Catch returns to ABC in the US and Sky Living HD in the UK in 2017.