Earlier today M3D launched a Kickstarter for The Micro – the first truly consumer 3D printer; compact and accessible, seamlessly designed, and incredibly intuitive. Their initial target was to raise $50,000 and they absolutely smashed it in just 11 minutes! 10 hours later and they have already passed $600,000 with 29 days still left to go.
The Micro is the affordable 3D printer that comes ready to use out of the box. Ideal for everyday users and experts alike, it’s designed for anyone to bring their ideas to life. Whether running a business, educating, learning, or simply having fun, The Micro can be used to create anything from toys, and jewellery, to real engineering prototypes. To start 3D printing you simply plug in the printer, download or create models, hit print, and watch your creations become a reality right before your very eyes.
[quote by=”Michael Armani, Founder at M3D”]The mainstream consumer is eager to try 3D printing, patiently waiting for a truly affordable printer that comes with intuitive software. We’ve designed The Micro to be easily accessible with a compact, portable size that can rest on any table-top. For the first time, consumers, designers, and engineers alike can experiment with new ideas. They can customize and fix things around the house, print artistic models shared by others, and make technical prototypes. After years of developing this printer to provide an enjoyable user experience, we can’t wait to share it with the Kickstarter community and have them help nurture this unique technology with us.[/quote]
While The Micro can use open source software for experienced users, it also offers the option to use the M3D software to provide a seamless, modern, user-friendly experience. The 3D printer software is designed to be as fun and as futuristic as the printer itself, meaning that navigating the designs is as enjoyable as playing a game. The touchscreen capable and simple to use interface means you can search and browse countless objects online, organize 3D models you’ve downloaded into an easy to view library, and enjoy the process of 3D printing from start to finish.
[quote by=”David Jones, Founder”]The Micro is space efficient, compact and lightweight. Similarly it’s very power efficient, using as much power as a tablet would use. These are some of the ways we’ve made the 3D printer ultra-affordable while keeping reliability, consistency, and accessibility in mind. 3D printing has the potential to revolutionize the way we build, innovate and create, and we’re excited to be a part of that 3D printing revolution with The Micro.[/quote]
- The Micro Supports many different materials: ABS, PLA, nylon, chameleon, as well as M3D’s micro filament spools or standard 1.75 mm filament spools available on the market.
- Compatible with Mac and PC and Linux through a direct USB-connection. Advanced users can use the expert settings, as well as other software such as open-source slicers.
- Micro Motion Technology is a sensor and feedback system built into the print head, providing auto-leveling and auto-calibration. This means that every time you run the printer it works well, even after thousands of hours of use.
- The Micro 3D Printer can print objects as tall as 4.6 inches or 116 mm.
- 50-350 micron layer resolution, 15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy.
- Dimensions: Print height: 116mm (4.6″). Base Print Area: 109mm x 113mm. Print Area Above 74mm: 91mm x 84mm.
- Removable ABS-bonding Print Bed.
- Printer Dimensions: 185mm³ / Printer weight: 1kg (2.2 lbs).