Mariah Carey could be about to score her record-breaking 19th number one single with the release of new track Infinity.
The diva has released the track to celebrate the start of her Las Vegas residency in May and to launch her greatest hits collection #1 To Infinity, released on 18th May 2015. Infinity is a throwback track that is reminiscent of the singer’s best such as We Belong Together and Don’t Forget About Us.
Last night Mariah launched her Vegas show in Las Vegas by inviting fans to join a live stream on Periscope.
As we eagerly await the release of #1 To Infinity we’ve rounded up some facts that Mariah fans may not know. Of course we know the Lambily will likely know them all but there’s always a good excuse to tell the world about the incredible Ms. Carey.
Keep reading to find out some interesting facts about Mariah:
- In high school, Mariah’s nickname was “Mirage” because she often cut class.
Guidance counselor John Garvey: “You could talk to her until you were blue in the face, and it didn’t do any good. When you talked to her about it, she’d let you know it wasn’t that important in her life because she was going to be a rock star.”
- Her godmother is R&B icon Patti LaBelle.
- Mariah has a five octave range. Her voice is an alto; she can cover all the octaves between an alto and a soprano. According to the BBC, “Such a range is so unusual because the human voice is very limited and we use only a small part of it. This makes it very difficult to expand the vocal range and articulate such high notes. Exploiting the range we do have comes down to physical aspects, like body structure and the length of vocal cords, technique and psychological attitude.”
- Mariah bought Marilyn Monroe’s white baby grand piano for over $600,000.
Carey purchased the incredible instrument at the auction at Christie’s in 1999. The starlet’s obsession with Monroe is lifelong, perhaps because she saw a bit of herself in the icon. A friend discloses, “Aside from all the negative aspects of her life, she sort of idolized her. She liked the overall concept of being famous and the way Marilyn Monroe came to fame.”
- Mariah fans are known as her “Lambily.”
- The song “One Sweet Day,” which she recorded with Boyz II Men, holds the longest-running number one song in US chart history. The song spent 16 weeks in the top position on the Billboard Hot 100. The band and Carey wrote the song together. It’s also notable that Carey has writing and producing credits on almost all of her recorded material, an uncommon practice among many female pop stars.
- Mariah’s legs are insured for $1 billion.
- When she sang her hit “Emotions” at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, she reportedly sounded a G-sharp three and a half octaves above middle C, one of the highest notes produced by a human voice in the history of recorded music.
Mariah’s new album #1 To Infinity will be released on 18th May 2015. The single Infinity is available now and you can watch the lyric video below: