The nominations for the fourth annual UK Americana Awards were revealed at Borderline in London last night.
The awards take place on Thursday 31st January 2019 at Hackney Empire. Graham Nash OBE will receive the 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award, in recognition of his contribution to the Americana genre over the span of his career and life in music.
“It feels absolutely right that Graham Nash OBE will be accepting our Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, joining past winners Richard Thompson and Robert Plant. Like them, Graham Nash certainly isn’t slowing down and he has toured both the US and UK in 2018. His prolific solo career spans five decades, alongside an incredible body of work with two iconic bands: The Hollies and international super group Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Nash wrote some of CSNY’s most memorable songs, including world-wide hits that remain part of our musical landscape. He has never shied away from using his voice for activism, with political and environmental messages often heard in his work. He is a wonderful icon for trans-transatlantic collaborations, proving once again that the core values of this music travel and mix to create a unique form that we call Americana.” – Stevie Freeman, CEO Americana Music Association UK
During last night’s launch, the nominations shortlist for the seven membership-voted Awards were announced by Baylen Leonard and Sunny Ozell.
The nominations are:
UK Album of the Year
- All On Red by Orphan Colours (produced by Steve Llewellyn, Fred Abbott and Rupert Christie)
- Bennett Wilson Poole by Bennett Wilson Poole (produced by Tony Poole)
- Shorebound by Ben Glover (produced by Neilson Hubbard and Ben Glover)
- Treetop Flyers by Treetop Flyers (produced by Reid Morrison, Sam Beer and Laurie Sherman)
International Album of the Year
- By The Way I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile (produced by Dave Cobb and Shooter Jennings)
- May Your Kindness Remain by Courtney Marie Andrews (produced by Mark Howard and Courtney Marie Andrews)
- Ruins by First Aid Kit (produced by Tucker Martine)
- The Tree of Forgiveness by John Prine (produced by Dave Cobb)
UK Song of the Year
- Be More Kind by Frank Turner (written by Frank Turner)
- Chicago by Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker (written by Josienne Clarke)
- Southern Wind by Dean Owens (written by Dean Owens and Will Kimbrough)
- Uh-huh by Jade Bird (written by Jade Bird)
International Song of the Year
- Hold Your Head Up High by Darlingside (written by Auyon Mukharji, Caitlin Canty and Donald Mitchell)
- Mockingbird by Ruston Kelly (written by Ruston Kelly)
- Rolling On by Israel Nash (written by Israel Nash)
- The Joke by Brandi Carlile (written by Brandi Carlile, Dave Cobb, Phil Hanseroth and TimHanseroth)
UK Artist of the Year
- Bennett Wilson Poole
- Ethan Johns
- Robert Plant
- The Wandering Hearts
International Artist of the Year
- John Prine
- Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real
- Mary Gauthier
- Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
UK Instrumentalist of the Year
- CJ Hillman
- Gwenifer Raymond
- Martin Harley
- Seth Lakeman
Lifetime Achievement Award
Bob Harris Emerging Artist Award
Curse Of Lono
Best Selling Americana Album
The 2019 recipient will be announced in January.
Grass Roots Award
Immy Doman and Risa Tabatznik of The Green Note
The UK Americana Awards are part of AmericanaFestUK, a three-day event which will include daytime conferences with guest speakers Ray Benson from Asleep at the Wheel, John Oates. The Keynote speaker will be the highly acclaimed Rhiannon Giddens.
There is a two night showcase festival on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th January, featuring 48 artists playing in various venues around Hackney Central. Artists will include: Sam Lewis, GangstaGrass, Coco and the Butterfields, Days are Done, Martin Harley, The Luck, Birds of Chicago, Austin Lucas, Lucas and King , Jamie Freeman, Police Dog Hogan, Wild Ponies, Amy Speace, Martha L Healy, Noble Jacks, The Blue Highways, Caleb Caudle, Caroline Spence, Arkansas Dave, Nicki Bluhm, Mike Farris, Ethan Johns with the Black Eyed Dogs, The Hanging Stars, Neilson Hubbard, The Southern Companion, Bennett Wilson Poole , Beth Rowley, Smith & Brewer, Amber Rubarth, Sam Morrow , Treetop Flyers , Carson McHone, The Hungry Mothers, William the Conqueror, Michaela Anne , Trevor Moss & Hannah-Lou and more to be announced.