Michael Cimino’s classic The Deer Hunter has been restored with a new 4k restoration to mark the film’s 40th anniversary.
Park Circus will showcase the film in cinemas on 4th July 2018 for one day only, coinciding with America’s Independence Day. A Blu-ray and EST release will follow on 20th August with a 4K Ultra HD release landing on 15th October.
The Deer Hunter won five Academy Awards in 1978 including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor for Christopher Walken. The film stars Robert De Niro, John Savage, Christopher Walken, John Cazale and Meryl Streep.
When Michael (Robert De Niro), Steven (John Savage) and Nick (Christopher Walken) are captured by the Vietcong, they are forced to play Russian Roulette by their brutal captors, who make bets on their survival. The experience of capture leaves them with terrible physical and spiritual wounds, and when Michael returns to Saigon to fulfil an old promise to one of his friends, he makes an unexpected, horrific discovery.
For the restoration Studiocanal went back to the original 35mm negative, which was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit. The restoration was completed at Silver Salt in London, who created a restored 4K DCP and UHD version for the home entertainment release.
The 2 disc Blu-ray release will include the feature and the following extras:
- New Interview with critic and author David Thomson
- 1979 ITV South Bank Show Interview with Michael Cimino
- Intro by Mickey Rourke
- Realising the Deer Hunter – interview with Michael Cimino
- Shooting the Deer Hunter – interview with Vilmos Zsigmond
- Playing the Deer Hunter – interview with John Savage
- Michael Cimino Audio commentary
- Vilmos Zsigmond & journalist Bob Fisher audio commentary
- Deleted and extended scenes (incl. Russian Roulette)
The Collector’s Edition (4 discs) will include the two Blu-ray discs as above, a first ever 4K Ultra HD and the original soundtrack PLUS:
- A 64-page booklet which includes material written by Jay Glennie and adapted from his forthcoming numbered limited edition large format book ‘One Shot: The
- Making of The Deer Hunter’, a new essay from David Jenkins, Editor of Little White Lies and pages from the original 1978 press book
- A 72-page script of early incarnation of the script entitled ‘The Man Who Came to Play’ by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker
- X 5 Artcards