Studiocanal is thrilled to announce the new DVD, Blu-Ray and EST release of Ealing Studios classic Scott of the Antarctic on 6th June 2016, beautifully restored in 2K and for the first time ever from a Technicolor 3 strip negative.
Based on the real life adventures of Robert Falcon Scott and his fellow explorers Scott of the Antarctic tells the story of the infamous but ill-fated 1912 expedition – a race against Norway to discover the South Pole.
John Mills (Great Expectations; Ice Cold in Alex; The Big Sleep) stars as hero Captain R.F Scott, with Harold Warrender (Convoy; Pandora and the Flying Dutchman) as Dr William E.A Wilson, Derek Bond (The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby; The Loves of Joanna Godden) as Captain L.E.G Oates, Reginald Beckwith (The Titfield Thunderbolt, The Day The Earth Caught Fire; Thunderball) as Lieutenant H.R Bowers, James Robertson Justice (Whisky Galore!; Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; Moby Dick) as Petty Office ‘Taff’ Evans R.N and Kenneth More (The Yellow Balloon; Genevieve; A Night to Remember) as Lieutenant E.G.R ‘Teddy’ Evans R.N – his band of loyal men.
Also starring Diana Churchill as Kathleen Scott (Jane Steps Out; Oranges and Lemons) and Sir Christopher Lee (The Wicker Man; The Lord of the Rings Trilogy; Star Wars: Episodes II & III).
Adapted from Scott’s diaries and visually inspired by original footage from the expedition, Scott of the Antarctic was shot almost entirely in studio and in Technicolor, making it one of Ealing Studios’ most lavish productions of the time. The film’s authenticity and aesthetic splendour is thanks to highly acclaimed cinematographer Jack Cardiff OBE. Tremendously British in style and spirit this documentary-style drama is complemented by an original score by Ralph Vaughan Williams, which later became his seventh symphony, ‘Sinfonia Antarctica.’ Scott of the Antarctic was nominated for Best British Film at the BAFTAs in 1949.
Scott of the Antarctic is part of the ‘Vintage Classics collection’ – showcasing iconic British films, all fully restored and featuring brand new extra content: www.facebook.com/vintageclassicsfilm
To celebrate the release we’ve got 3 copies of Scott of the Antarctic on Blu-ray to give away to our readers. All you need to do to be in with a chance of winning is answer one simple question below.
The competition closes at 23.59 (GMT) on Sunday 12th June 2016.
Terms & conditions
- The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 13
- Winners will be selected at random.
- By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
- All information provided by the entrant must be accurate and proof of age may be requested.
- Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.
- Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.
- Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.
- Winners will be notified via email or phone (or where applicable) social media (depending on the type of competition).
- In the unlikely event the prize style has discontinued a similar model to the same value will be provided.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.