Iwata confirmed that many Nintendo favourites will be making their way to Wii U. During Nintendo Direct it was confirmed that two Zelda games are on the cards, a new 3D Mario action game is currently in development and a brand new instalment of Mario Kart. All three titles are expected to be playable at E3.
Other games in the works include:
- Yarn Yoshi – a new Yoshi title set in a world of yarn and textiles.
- Wii Fit U Communities – a new interactive community for Miiverse that can be accessed during the game so members can talk exercise and encourage each other.
- Pikmin 3 photos – use the Wii U GamePad as a camera to share the same perspective as Pikmin by taking photos and sharing them in the Miiverse.
- Wii Party – a brand new instalment feature a new head-to-head mode that can be played using just the GamePad.
- Nintendo and Atlus collaboration – a mash-up of the Fire Emblem and Shin-Magami Tensei franchises.
- Monolith Soft title – a new game from the creatores of Xenoblade Chronicles.
It was also revealed that The Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario are scheduled for launch in the first half of this year.
The Wii U will receive a system update this Spring with the Virtual Console launching on the Nintendo eShop shortly after. it will include a selection of NES and Super NES games with Game Boy Advance games to be added in the future.
There was also news about the social and system enhancements coming this year. The Miiverse will expand to smartphones in the spring enabling gamers to browse the Miiverse. A dedicated Miiverse app will be launched in the future. Two system updates were confirmed too; one for Spring and one for Summer.
Watch Nintendo Direct in full: